Sunday, January 3, 2016

Dear Procrastinator

Dear Procrastinator,

Just stop.

Don't lie, we've all been there.  You had three months to write that paper that's due tomorrow and you're just now starting.  It's December 24th and you are still out shopping.  Just one more episode and then you will start your chores (and you tell yourself this again 3 seasons later when you still haven't left the couch).  Sometimes life just takes over!

Seeing as productivity is something I am working towards in the new year, I decided to write a little bit on procrastinating.  And seems how I am a professional at it, I can admit that I truly understand the struggle.  I used to start books the day before the report was due, I would be up way late into the night trying to slop things together just good enough to turn in.  I have gotten better over the years, but I am definitely still a "one more episode" girl.  If there is one thing I have learned from this, it is that procrastinating stresses me out!! And I mean BAD. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So how do we stop it? I'll let you know when I find out ;) But seriously, it is something everyone should work on.  I think it would relieve so much stress in the long run.  The best way to go about it is to get as much done as early as possible.  For example, when a teacher assigns something that is due at the end of the semester, take action immediately.  Even if you finish the assignment an entire month early, think about how good it will feel when everyone else is scrambling at the last minute.  Also, when you start early, you are more capable of breaking things into smaller portions. When you complete a large task last minute, you have to do all of it at one time.  If you start early, you can break it down into smaller tasks and complete a little bit at a time. This will make the once overwhelming task much more manageable

When you do it once, the feeling will motivate you to do it again, and eventually it will become a habit to get things done ahead of time.  So turn off that TV, you have already watched way too many episodes.  Get off your computer, put the phone away, and do something productive.  You will thank yourself.  Start early, and break it into smaller tasks.  It's easy, it just takes a lot of willpower.

This week I challenge everyone to do one productive task everyday.  I know you all have stuff that needs to get done, it's never ending! So do something about it! You will feel SO much better!

Do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today

Yours Truly,
Pantless Sunday's

No comments:

Post a Comment