Sunday, June 19, 2016

Dear Mental Getaway,

So I think most people would agree that it is important to take care of your physical health. We know the importance of eating nutritious meals and getting enough physical activity. What many people tend to neglect, is that mental health is just as important.  Worrying about mental health is only for people dealing with mental illnesses though, right? WRONG. Everyone should continuously be working on their mental health.  Your quality of life depends on it.

My mind has been very cluttered lately.  If you read my recent post on overthinking, you know all about what it can do to a person.  So I thought I'd share one way to increase your mental health, not only for over-thinkers, but in general.  I am not a doctor, or an expert in any way, this is simply something that I have found to be helpful. Sometimes, you just need a break.

I am at my dad's house this weekend for Father's Day.  While it is nice to be in one of my favorite towns (Woo Pig!) it is really difficult for me to come down here sometimes.  Everything flows so smoothly at home; I have a routine, all of my friends, my clothes, my schedule, etc.  It is home for a reason.  And I have always felt like I have to put my whole world on pause to come down here, which stresses me out like no other.  Until I actually get here.  Then everything stops.  Seriously.  The life I'm living at home really does pause for a few days.  In a weird way, it can be kind of nice.  All of my problems are 250 miles away, and even if I wanted to, I can't do anything about them from here.  I get a nice break from my job, my daily routines, some people that drive me crazy, etc.  It's almost like a mini vacation.

Now I am not saying you need to pack up and drive for hours to achieve this.  Find your own "getaway." Put down your phone for a few days.  While I'm here, I spend a lot less time on my phone. I check it in the morning and before bed, sometimes periodically throughout the day, but it mostly stays comfortable in my room.  I try not to worry about what my friends are doing, or what I am missing out on at home.  Instead, I have become pretty good at being present here, catching up with people I do not see very often.  Putting your phone down for a bit can really do wonders.

Once your phone is down, take time for yourself.  Do not stress about the world around you, your job, your friend/family drama, or anything else. This time is about you.  Catch up with people you don't see often, or soak in the bath, or read your favorite book.  Whatever it is your heart desires, do that.  It could be for a week, or thirty minutes.  You  can be hours away from home, or perched on your couch. You decide all the parameters for this one.  If you do it right, you'll thank me I promise ;)

What are you waiting for?? Pick a time within the next few weeks, you deserve it!

Happy vacationing

Yours Truly,
Pantless Sunday's    

No comments:

Post a Comment