Friday, December 25, 2015

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas!

I hope all is well and everyone is enjoying their holiday! I just wanted to check in and share a little gratitude today.  I am back in Fayetteville for a few days celebrating Christmas at my dad's house. It has been very different than I remember from past years, but in a good way.  We spent yesterday baking and watching Christmas movies, leaving a plate for Santa of course.  And I woke up this morning full of joy.  My sister sleeps in my room when we're the only kids here, so it was nice to wake up so close to her.  We hung out in bed for a bit, unlike our childhood we were in no hurry to jump out of bed.  And I am perfectly okay with that! It was good to wake up slowly, enjoying the peaceful morning.  When we finally decided to get up, we moved into the living room and were greeted with full stockings and an amazing smell coming from the kitchen.  It may be sunny and over 60 degrees, but I still feel Christmas.  We spent the morning exchanging gifts and enjoying each others company.  Just four of us this year, and that is all I need. It has been a very lazy day, which is exactly what I have been needing!

I know Christmas can be stressful at times.  We dread having to socialize with Great Aunt Sharon who will ask way too many questions that we don't know the answers to.  Or having to sacrifice our bedroom for grandma and grandpa for the weekend.  It's just a lot of work isn't it? But it doesn't have to be.  Christmas only comes once a year.  Only once.  So try your best to make the most of it.  It is all in your head.  Whenever those dreadful thoughts sit in, or you catch yourself counting down the hours until you can once again be alone, think about how grateful you are to have these people in your life.  Sure, they can be bossy, and loud, and obnoxious, but they love you.  Remember that. Find some things today that you are very grateful for.  Yes, you are thankful for that shiny new ipad under the tree, but think deeper.  Personally, I am thankful that I got to spend Christmas with my sister this year.  I am at peace knowing that my mother is at home with her parents and that I will be reunited with her soon.  I am blessed with a loving family, a warm home, and a wonderful meal.

The little things can really make a day brighter, you just have to find them.
Merry Christmas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment